Penedès-Sparkling, the rules
The appellation was founded (as ‘Clàssic Penedès’) in 2013 and wines so labelled first appeared in 2014. The rules of this appellation are evolving (the current rules apply since November 1, 2018). For example, the requirement for fruit to be organically grown was phased in from 2013-2017 and mandated for all releases into market from October 2018).
- single vintage and vintage-dated;
- 100% organic and certified (55% of all Penedès fruit is certified organic);
- entirely Penedès-grown and entirely estate-grown fruit;
- aged for a minimum of 15 months, and thus Reserva wines in contemporary Cava language.
- Only brut-spectrum wines are permitted.
- In 2018, there were 18 producers of DO Penedès-Sparkling.
- As discrete village-based estates are the basis of these wines, sub-regionality becomes possible in labelling and marketing.
As with the other Cava splinter group, the cringeworthy CORPINNAT, Chardonnay is legal, with Chenin Blanc and Gewurztraminer also tolerated.
- 750ml & magnums must be sold in the tirage bottle, smaller and larger formats may be bottled using the transfer method after maturation is complete.
- Un-disgorged wines (minimum 4 years bottle ageing) are legal, labelled as ‘No Degorjat’ or ‘No Degollat’.