Founded in 1890, Pereira D'Oliveiras is the most traditional of houses. Their wines are the most concentrated and earthy of Madeiras, yet brilliantly fresh and persistent. Nowadays, PDO is run by Luis D'Oliveira, one of 3 brothers in the partnership, direct descendants of founder, Jaão Pereira D'Oliveira. Fellow 5th generation family member Anibal D'Oliveira (with his son Felipe), is the winemaker. Each year, they buy fruit from about 140 growers in various parts of the island. Production per annum is about 150,000 litres, but the bodega's holdings of mature wine total around 1.5 million litres of rare old gear in addition to current commercial reserves.